13 Tips to Boost Sales with Product Catalogs
Have you ever wondered why print catalogs have remained an invaluable marketing tool even though much of the world has gone digital? The answer is simple.
Catalogs continue to sell products! Although mall traffic has seen a steady decline while internet sales continue to skyrocket, many consumers still make purchases using a printed catalog.
People still enjoy something tangible, something they can sit on their coffee table, mark pages on, put down and come back to pick up later, and so on.
Are you harnessing the power of print?
If not, let’s get started!
Here are a few basic tips to keep in mind when creating your catalog:
- Keep it simple – use only one or two typefaces and don’t overuse bold or italics.
- Keep it standard size or smaller – anything too large will cost more on postage.
- Make it pop – your cover should be eye-catching with colorful fonts and clear photos of merchandise.
- Placement is everything – best-selling products should be placed in the upper right-hand corner of each page.
Here are a few additional tips for creating a product catalog that will increase your sales:
- Address common questions by including an informative Q&A section for frequently asked questions.
- Provide detailed information, high-quality product photos, and policy guidelines as well as contact information or a link to your website for more information.
- Cross-sell products by using suggestions in product copy, call-outs, or by placing companion products together.
- Portray a consistent brand image through the use of your company logo and corporate colors that are visible through all print materials, website, etc.
- Include call-to-action inserts that can be easily updated for seasonal sales and offers.
- Include a mix of customer testimonials that give readers a customer-centric insight into your products.
- If you have a frequently changing product line, consider a mini-catalog that offers a brief overview of your products with colorful photos to pique interest.
Finally, here are two advanced tips to ensure you are getting the most bang for your buck:
- Be sure to deduplicate contacts and use the change of address database (NCOA) to guarantee every catalog you send gets delivered.
- Utilize cross-channel marketing. Follow up your printed catalog with an email/online version. Include a promotion like free shipping or a coupon for money off their next purchase!
Even in our digital world, catalogs are still mailing in the billions and the reason from the marketers’ perspective is the foundation of direct marketing: catalogs work! They more than pay for the costs of getting them into the hands of customers and prospects.
Thinking of utilizing a catalog for your business? Talk to our printing, mailing and marketing experts. From concept to completion, we can help boost your sales and build your brand!