Direct Mail Marketing: 8 Tips To Ensure That Your Envelope Gets Opened
Mistakenly, there is a belief that direct mail is no longer an effective marketing tool. However, that couldn’t be further from the truth. Direct mail marketing is still relevant and is a viable way to advertise your businesses’ products and services. And despite the popularity of using technology for marketing via social media and PPC ads, direct mail resonates with Millennials as useful. According to a national survey conducted by ICOM, “Direct mail surprisingly transcends the age demographic, with younger consumers (the 18- to 34-year-old demographic) preferring to learn about marketing offers via postal mail rather than online sources.”
With direct mail marketing still being relevant, it is important to utilize techniques that will give your company the greatest ROI. With the right strategy you can get customers and prospects to take action upon receiving mail. To encourage people to open your correspondence your envelope must stand out from the other pieces of mail that they receive on a daily basis. The design and content on the envelope are the primary components to getting them opened.
As the highly esteemed direct marketing strategist Ed Nash said, “The outer envelope is the headline of direct mail.” Here are 7 tips that will ensure that your envelope gets opened.
- Your company name and logo should be prominent on the envelope. Don’t fear that this will deter people from opening your envelope. If the addressee is a previous customer, they will be interested in what you have to say, especially if you have provided exceptional service in the past.
- Embellish your envelopes and add prestige by using foil stamping or embossing to feature an anniversary or warranty seal.
- Include a compelling hook message or teaser promotion with attention-grabbing phrases or keywords that increase curiosity or urgency and
- entice readers to open your envelope. You can place the teaser on the front of the envelope.
- Break from the norm. Experiment and test different envelope looks. Ask us about our wide variety of shapes and sizes, colors, and textures (linen, cockle, matte, coated, glossy, or metallic). Make your envelope stand out from the other envelopes they receive on a daily basis.
- Consider creating an envelope with a peek-through window to a colorful photograph of your product, a membership card, or contest entry form.
- Include a clear call-to-action on the back flap. Entice addressees to open your envelope by finding a clever way of asking them.
- Encourage addressees to visit your website by adding a link to a discount coupon, or an advertisement for special offers. To ensure marketing success, conduct A/B split testing to measure the effectiveness of each technique. Remember it takes about three times for someone to see your advertisement before they take notice. Also fortify your direct mail marketing initiatives with the use of email marketing, social media and other marketing. However, be mindful of bombarding your audience with too many advertisements.
To get jump-start your next direct mail campaign, contact us for a free quote. At Strategic Factory we have graphic designers and content writers that can create compelling envelopes that will get opened. We also provide direct mail services that include printing, envelope stuffing and mailing.